15 March, 2010

Live for storms.

    With all the wild weather from the winter and now the whipping wind strong enough to take down the Revel crane built to withstand 120 mph wind, we cannot forget it is a privilage to live so close to such and immense force.


These are the storms that reshape the coast line, and I can't wait until the weather clears up enough to see what the ocean has done to the north end of my little island, as well as the others around me. The marshes behind my house already has a brand new creek cutting into the marsh where there was none before.
The book "great storms of the jersey shore" has maps from the 1870's through 1945 to now showing how Tucker's Island changed shape, joined with Beach Haven, then seperated again and grew smaller, until it completely matched up with Pullen Island with a small cove in the middle renaming it Little Beach.
Now I'm curious to see what the beaches will look like. Last Saturday I came home on rt. 30 with breakers crashing over top of the marshes almost hitting the road, with the NorthEastern wind pushing cars coming around the bend by Delilah rd. Between the wind, the rain, all the snow from earlier in the winter, and the high spring ebbing tide, and it being a new moon. I think the change on Pullen island will be drastic as will the change on the Brigantine Beach. I may take the walk tomorrow. Here are some recent photos I haven't been posting, but stay tuned for more weather reports.

No comments: