27 July, 2008

Borgata Messenger

Borgata is the gem of Atlantic City, it's style and boutiques-esque shops and restaurants make it the number one month after month. Jobs there are highly sought after, and the turn around is fast for those not willing to be apart of this "little village". In Italian "Borgata" actually means "little village", and everywhere in their practice and policies you see employee only events that attempt to boost morale, like Christmas parties, 10 minutes on a slot machine for the 5 year reunion with prizes, and now their growth of the water club only helps.
However they are rated worst by Union 54 with treatment of employees in it's sector, and recently made one of the greener options of getting to work impossible. Recently they have blocked off the area that was once available for families, children, wives, girlfriends, and even just cabs to drop off employees before they punch the clock. While there are two adequate parking garages, a NJ transit bus stop, and a Jitney stop, there is no place for cars to drop off employees safely. Before the new ORANGE cones that take up one lane, and a shoulder of available drop off area. While cabs are aloud to sit on a shoulder a little further up on the opposite side, and run their engines polluting the air until it's their turn to pick up some tourists, people like me can't even say goodbye to my husband when I drop him off, and sit and wait for him for 3 minutes when I pick him up.
Last night I was asked to move, while my husband was just 100 feet away from my car, I pulled up to the security guard and asked, "What do they plan to do about this?"
"Don't Shoot the messenger." The security guard told me.
"Well is there a number I can call or a letter I can write?" I asked.
"Write a letter to Larry Mullen." He said with a laugh.
"Does Larry Mullen read letters?" I asked, and he said yes.

When my husband finally got in the car, he was threatened with a write up, for getting picked up, and said they would report us to the police.

I inquired “for what”, and he gave a little speech about traffic violations for stopping in the middle of the road. Normally there’s a shoulder, and 4 lanes across, but because of the cones, there’s now only 3 lanes, and no shoulder.

I thought this was a letter that the press should get first, and maybe something can be done.

No comments: