07 July, 2008

Recession hits the barrier island.

One of the many symptoms of high gas prices, is people not being able to visit their vacation homes as often as previous years. Recession hits paradise.
The signs are clear, they are tall uncut grasses and landscape lacking. They are houses for sale, and garbage cans over flowing, with trash blowing in the breeze. In the back bays I can see dilapidated docks falling apart, and bulkheads eaten away green with algae. We see this here just as everywhere.
However there are also some things I've been noticing that surprise me, it seems to me that there are more people down here for the day, than there was before. There seems to be more people on the beach, and there are more people living down here year round than I noticed last year.

I'll keep an eye out.

No comments: